Friday, March 1, 2013

Speaking Hindi in South India and Other Lost Causes...


Speaking Hindi in South India and Other Lost Causes…

My friend Emily is still traveling with me, and we came for a trip to South India over the last week or more. This is my first trip to the South, and in a way, it is very much a different country. There are palm trees to replace the oaks and pines, we have actually been on a beach, and everywhere we go they speak a different language (none of which is remotely like Hindi).

Emily and I arrived in Vijayawada where we met up with our friend Ashwin from Xavier. He is from Vijayawada (in Andhra Pradesh) but did his MBA at Xavier. He is one of the most energetic and outgoing people I have ever met. Needless to say, our time with him meant little sleep, lots of excitement, and of course some funny stories. We came to visit him around the time his friend was getting married so we could attend a South Indian wedding. I had heard that weddings in India are week-long affairs, and now I know why. We went to at least three formal celebrations of the wedding, and we actually skipped a couple.

Because Ashwin is such a close friend, he was also participating in the Sangeet. A Sangeet is basically a big celebration with lots of dancing and delicious food. Both the bride and groom’s friends choreograph dances to perform in front of the entire crowd. (Ashwin’s friend is very well to do, so this was a huge production.) Because we were on the groom’s side, I am going to tell you more about that. Basically, Ashwin and his friends met every night with a choreographer to perform Bollywood dances. The dance sequence overall tells the stories of the lives of the bride and groom and then how they come together. (Yes, this was an arranged marriage, but they seem to be a good match.)

The groom’s story was about how he loves to play basketball, went to the U.S. to study, and got in a bit of harmless trouble before figuring out his life and meeting the woman of his dreams. [Emily and I had to dance in the U.S. part. We got roped into doing four moves which should have been easy, but for us, they were not. I would say we did ok in the performance itself, but not great. I am glad I don’t have a video of the performance, but unfortunately the bride and groom do.]

All I can say is that the groom’s side definitely was more into the dancing than the bride’s. They obviously loved practicing and learning all these Bollywood dance moves in practice and did really well at the performance. The bride’s side was good too, but they obviously did not have as much passion for dancing as these 20 guys who work in offices every day. =) My favorite dance from the evening was the one where the groom’s parents are supposed to think he is actually gay. These were all close friends in the dance, and they really enjoyed dancing with each other. I really wish I had a video to show these hilarious moves!

After the performance (which was about an hour), we ate delicious Indian food and danced the night away. The dancing started at 10 or 11pm and did not stop until at least 2:00am. It was so much fun to dance both to Indian and American music. All of the friends of the bride and groom (as well as some family members) were out on the dance floor. By this point, Emily and I had made friends with Ashwin’s friends, so we also danced the entire time. It was so much fun! [I was exhausted after this! Sleeping comes last when it comes to weddings apparently.]

The wedding itself was very beautiful and was a lot of ceremony. The bride and groom wore beautiful clothing, and we ate some more delicious food. See pictures below.

In Andhra Pradesh, the main language is Telegu. Educated people are able to speak very good English, but I found it very difficult to speak any Hindi. This made it really difficult to get around without Ashwin. Telegu has a really nice sound to it (and I especially enjoyed the Telegu movie we saw – Mirchi), but it’s only spoken in Andhra Pradesh. Throughout the South, I have only been able to speak Hindi with people who have migrated from the North for work. They are always surprised when I pull out my Hindi. This is probably because the South of India seems to be filled with many more foreigners and hippies than the North. (Maybe it’s the beaches and warm winter weather.) I was told in Goa that I was the first foreigner they met who could speak good Hindi. They also told me that they appreciated the way I dress which is wearing the traditional Indian salwar camise and a modest swimsuit. This definitely contrasts all the big stomachs and sags I saw from foreigners wearing bikinis and speedos!

After Vijayawada, Emily and I made a stop to Hampi, Karnataka, which was the former capital of the empire that was South India in the 15th century. The first day we took a biking tour through the royal city and visited some temples. The second day, we went for a boat ride in what looks like a basket operated by a local fifteen-year old boy. We walked up to Hamuman’s temple (Hindu monkey god) which sits on top of a hill and has beautiful views of the city. Our third day, we biked from Hampi island to a nearby lake and enjoyed the quiet and the scenery. The scenery here was gorgeous, but the weather is hot! It was about 90 degrees in February! Emily and I went running just outside the city each morning, through the palm trees and banana fields.

The next stop on our trip was Goa. We stayed in a hut on the beach and visited the St. Francis Xavier Church where his remains are kept. This was really special for both of us since we went to Xavier for undergrad and because St. Francis Xavier did so much of his work in India.

From Goa, we are currently on our way to Cochin for my Fulbright conference. The Fulbrighters are staying at a beautiful hotel, and some are presenting current updates from their research. I unfortunately will not get to present this time around, but I am excited to hear about everyone else’s research. It will be nice to see some of the people I met at the orientation in August as well as my friends who studied with me at the language school.(This already happened. I'm a little late updating my blog. By the way, the conference was incredible!)

That’s a short summary of what we have been up to. I could write pages and pages more, but I will try to attach a few pictures instead. If not, try to friend Emily on facebook. She will be uploading pictures after she gets back to the U.S.

Lots of love,

Margaret

P.S. South Indian food is much different than the North. In tourist destinations, we get some more North Indian food. However, people eat a lot more rice down here, and there is a lot more fresh fruit available in the winter. One of my favorite drinks is coconut water which I get to drink straight from a coconut. I am also eating some delicious banana varieties that we don’t get in the U.S. 


Here is a picture of us walking through the banana fields in a village outside Vijayawada. (That's me looking very Indian in my red outfit.) I have a lot more pictures, but this one took about 2 hours to upload. Therefore, I think I am done for the night. I will try again when some more hi-speed internet comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment